Friday, May 4, 2012

Reflection of Lesson

I've taught lessons and mini lessons in other courses previously so I pretty much had an idea of what I was doing. I prepared for my lesson with my lesson plan, handouts and lecture notes. I would not necessarily say that I had a behavior plan. I really had two objectives which were:
 
Students will be able to solve algebraic expressions using basic algebraic rules. 
Students will be able to evaluate equations using the order of operations. 
I administered a formative assesment which required the students to correct mistakes done on specific problems.  My lesson plan was not executed exactly as it was written because I was a little short on time; however, if I had enough time I feel as though I would have executed the plan accordingly. The most important thing that I tried to teach my students was the basic order of operations. Without knowledge of this principle it would be impossible to incorporate higher math into their education. I think the lesson went well, as I was able to incorporate technology along with the lesson. It seemed as though the students were paying attention and engaging into the lesson. From my students I learned to be patient as math can be difficult at times. To make the lesson even more effective maybe I could have come up with a more engaging activity as an anticapatory set. As far as what I could have done to make the lesson more effective, I thought it was an effective lesson, I'm not really sure what I could have added to the lesson to make it more effective. As far as improvements or changes, I feel very comfortable talking in front of others ( it has taken many years for me to feel comfortable) but I probably should have did a better job of explaining the formative assessment and reading it a few times to make sure everyone would follow the directions. 

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed your lesson even though math was never my strongest subject. You made sure everyone had enough time to try to solve the problem on their own and offered assistance when needed. Overall, great job!

    ReplyDelete